Product Line Details
These filter elements are designed to fit Universal Silencer filters and filter silencers. Pleated paper elements provide the highest efficiency and are considered standard. Pleated felt and wire mesh elements are available for less demanding service with respect to efficiency.
Pleated Paper Elements
- High-quality industrial grade filter paper—pleated and oven-cured during production.
- Oven-cured plastisol end caps with molded sealing beads.
- Media efficiency: 99.5% on 2 microns; 97% on 1 micron.
- Maximum operating temperature: 200°F for units with ¹⁄₂” through 16″ pipe sizes.
Because of the low cost of the paper element, it is generally treated as a consumable and replaced when dirty. However, depending on customer preference, the paper element may be cleaned with compressed air and reused.
Compressed Air Cleaning
Carefully direct compressed air (100 PSI maximum) through the dry element, opposite the normal direction of flow. After cleaning, inspect carefully for holes or cracks. If damaged, replace element.
Pleated Felt Elements
- Durable polyester felt media—pleated.
- Oven-cured plastisol end caps with molded sealing beads (larger elements for pipe sizes 10″, 12″, 14″, and 16″ have metal end caps with closed cell rubber gaskets).
- Media efficiency: 99% on 10 microns.
- Maximum operating temperature: 200°F for units with ¹⁄₂” through 8″ pipe sizes, 250°F for units with 10″ through 18″ pipe sizes using elements with metal end caps.
Pleated felt elements may be cleaned with compressed air (as described for paper elements) or water and reused.
Rap gently to dislodge accumulated dirt, soak thoroughly approximately 15 minutes in warm water and mild detergent. Rinse thoroughly under low pressure water. Air dry—do not dry with compressed air. After cleaning, inspect carefully for holes or cracks. If damaged, replace element.
Wire Mesh Elements
- Galvanized wire-mesh media—corrugated construction.
- May be cleaned and reused indefinitely.
- Wire mesh elements are considered “roughing” filters and are not recommended for applications which require efficient filtration of fine particles.
- Approximate efficiency: 93% on 10 microns. Efficiency will vary with element oil or adhesive coverage.
- Maximum operating temperature: 200°F for ¹⁄₂” through 16″ with oil-free adhesive (flash point of adhesive is 235°F) and 300°F for ¹⁄₂” through 16″ without adhesive.
New elements are delivered pre-treated with Universal Silencer’s oil-free adhesive. See the back page for details. For best efficiency, wire mesh elements must be retreated after each cleaning. Spray the element on both sides with Universal Oil-Free Adhesive, P/N 81-0323, following the directions on the container. For oil treatment, dip the element in SAE 30–50 motor oil and drain thoroughly before using.
To clean wire mesh elements, wash in solvent or warm water and detergent in a container large enough for complete immersion of element. Rinse completely, drain, and either air dry or use compressed air. After cleaning and drying, retreat the element with oil-free adhesive or oil as described.